The project comes from an
idea of the 1910s to better connect villages of the Scrivia and Trebbia
valleys to the town.
At the time few roads
existed crossed by coaches.
The project, with a 2400v
electrified line and metric gauge track, was designed to have extentions
towards Busalla, Montoggio and Torriglia never carried out for lack of
on 1st September 1929 the "GENOVA-CASELLA RAILROAD",
called "The railroad of three valleys because of its course throug the Bisagno, Polcevera and Scrivia Valleys, was
The terminals were Genova P.zza Manin station and Casella Depot
(24 Km) up to 1953 when the 900 metres extension to the new Casella Village station was built.
In more than seventy year
never interrupted running, the Genova-Casella Railroad has seen basic
changes concerning the rolling stock, the the conctat line, the rail,
the communication network and the supply sistems of the eletric
substation at Vicomorasso.
At the beginning, the
rolling stock was only composed by three electric locomotives
(001-002-003). In the 1931s three electric locomotives coming from
Montebelluna-Asolo (054/056) to the 1963s. In the 60s-70s five electric
locomotives coming from the ex "ORA-PREDAZZO" railroad (EM
A1-A2-A3-B51-B52), two electric locomotives coming from the ex "SANGRITANA"
railroad (L28-L29), four more electric locomotives coming from the ex
"SPOLETO-NORCIA" railroad (EM A4-A5-A6-A7), were added.
In the 80s-90s new rolling
stock, such as six chopper traction eletric locomotives (EM
A3-A8-A9-A10-A11-A12), was introduced.
The power of the
locomotives has gradually increased form the total 280KW of the first
locomotives to the 800KW of the latest A11-A12 electric chopper
In the 90s, the conctat
line was entirely replaced with a double 100+100 mmq conctat wire FS
type counterweights system.
In the 70s, the rail was
replaced and changed from 27Kg/m to 36Kg/m.
This way the maximun speed
increased from 28Km/hour to 35Km/hour.
The communication network
was completely trasformed with the introduction, in the 90s, of radio
A G.P.S. system with a
direct display of the running trains and a radio system to control the
Vicomorasso substation from the Genova PM station, were also introduced.
In the 60s, the electric
substation, conceived to supply 2400V direct current voltage and
including two rotary units, was strengthened with the introduction of
the mercury rectifiers coming from the ex "ORA-PREDAZZO"
This way the line voltage
increased to 2600V.
In the 80s, the mercury
rectifiers were definitely put aside and replaced with two new
three-phase Greats bridge rectifiers (diodes). The voltage increased to
3000V, the current to 800A/unit.
Works and adjustaments are
still in progress to strengthen and improve the service that can be
commuter or tourist whit istorical trains (L29-C103-C104-C22BAR) and
special trains for
special occasions (weddings-package